Friday night I left school around 6 or 7 (school, meaning the elementary school I am doing my student teaching at...::yes, I ended with my sentence with a preposition, Linda, so insert you noun::)
I remember thinking to myself how weird and eerie the weather was. It was warm, windy and dark. I think I even mentioned to Susie and Linda that the weather was weird.
I remember thinking to myself how weird and eerie the weather was. It was warm, windy and dark. I think I even mentioned to Susie and Linda that the weather was weird.
Anyways, I left Yorba Linda and went home. I feel asleep early, exhausted from the week I had just endured (my master teacher is a slave driver...haha j.k).
I woke up to the sound of all of my telephones ringing. My cell phone was going off, David's was, and so was our home phone. When I finally decided to answer it I heard my mom on the other end. She was calling to inform me that Yorba Linda was on fire. I just figured it was a small fire and it would be out in no time...boy was I wrong!!!
I turned on the news and was shocked to see what was unfolding right before my very eyes. It was hellish. I can't even explain what was going through my mind, but I do remember that I was in disbelief.
My first instinct was to make sure everyone I care about was safe. I called and texted all of my friends who live in the area and made sure they were okay. I was also worried about my students and their families. While I was watching the news, they were showing countless homes being destroyed...
It is so hard to sit there and know that you are completely helpless...but I was... I just sat in front of the news all day and watched...It was so sad, but for some reason I couldn't take my eyes off of it...
I spent the rest of the night worried and upset. I slept about an hour that night. When I walked outside on Sunday morning I saw flames across the street. That was such a scary sight. I cannot even explain it. All I can say is...SCARY!
We packed up some of our most valuable possessions and left. Luckily we were fortunate enough to be able to come home to our apartment in one piece. Unfortunately, others were not so lucky. I just feel so blessed that all of my friends and family are okay, and that their homes are in one piece.
Here are some pictures of the fire. One of the teachers I work with sent them to me. They were taken from her home...Her house is okay, but she was lucky as you'll see...





1 comment:
I still think those pictures are crazy. I'm glad you guys were ok. It was great seeing you even though it was only for a short time. I can't wait until Christmas.
Post a Comment