Friday, November 28, 2008

...Oobleck...

Heard of Oobleck? Naw, you probably haven't... If I could describe it in 3 words I would use: messy, fun and messy. Yes, I am aware I used "messy" twice, but that is because it ended up being twice the mess I planned on. So, here's my story...

In our science books, they have a fun extension lesson called Oobleck. So, Lauren, (the other fifth grade student teacher) myself, and our master teachers, Linda and Susie decided to do it. Lauren and I prepared the lesson the night before and realized that it was going to be messy, but we still decided it would be fun.


You should have seen us. We got so dirty just trying it, and we are adults. I got in a fight with the corn starch, and, well...lets just say the corn starch won :)


Here are some pictures of our lesson. It went REALLY well. I usually don't enjoy being messy or enduring loud noise, but I decided to loosen up for the day and have fun with it...


Mrs. Ostapeck and Miss Harter take on Oobleck...Making Oobleck...Some of my students and I...boy, I'll miss them...Lauren and I trying to manage the mess... I got so lucky this semester...look at these wonderful students...

Working hard...AND learning...

THIS is Oobleck...Look how messy I was!!! I played it cool too...See...LEARNING CAN BE FUN!!!

Miss Harter in the middle of it all...

Trying to explain to them that the substance is going through a chemical change. You see, the lesson WAS educational too...This is what happens when two students teachers take on Oobleck....A BIG, FAT MESS!!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I taught a lesson on Oobleck once. It was just as messy as yours and I loved it. How fun! Are you done at the school?