Thursday, September 18, 2008

You Can't Say, You Can't Play!

Okay, Okay! So, I read the book "You Can't Say, You Can't Play." Talk about controversial. We had a big discussion in my class about it, and since we are ALL teachers, of course we all had an opinion about it.

It poses a question...Should we, as teachers, have the right to tell children they HAVE to play with each other? Do children have the right to pick who they want to play with? It deals with Kindergartners. I'll admit, it CAN be a bit of a gray area... but I AM curious what every one thinks...

Here is my conundrum (I took it from the book): Who loses more? The kid that is told they can't play? Or the kid that HAS to play with the kid they don't want to play with?

So, PLEASE, everyone that reads this, even if I don't know you, VOTE. I am posting a poll to see what everyone thinks. I will post later on my blog what I think.

Thanks :)

BTW, I don't really recommend the book. The author writes it in a whiny way, and quite honestly, it got annoying...

Samm

3 comments:

Danika said...

So, I think I would have to read the book to see what it's fully about. However, I think that today's society wants to raise kids to never get their feelings hurt and to be able to do whatever they want. But really, the world isn't really that way. Once you get a job, your boss probably won't care less if they hurt your feelings. I think kids need to learn how to deal with hurt feelings and how to rebound back from them. Anyway, that's just my two cents. I do have a hard time with kids making fun of other kids, but that's a whole other topic and this post is long enough!

Katie said...

Good question. I'd have to go with Danika pretty exactly. I think kids need to learn to get along with people they don't like. It's part of being an adult. As a parent I do have some issues with it though. There are certian kids Sarah Kate is semi friends with that I don't really approve of all the way. It's hard to know which friends to let you kids have and which one to not. She doesn't have to play with only the wonderful kids, I want her to play with the not so wonderful kids also, but I worry about what they teach her. There's a lot to think about, but I'd have to stick with Danika's answer, most of the time anyway.

rdhcph1 said...

Looks like these comments are a family affair. Does it have to be one or the other? I think children should be taught to be kind to one another, to respect each other, to feel empathy for each other's circumstances, and they should be taught that there are circumstances when it's best to play with everyone, like in PE, or at church activities when no one should be left out, but that there are other times when it's perfectly ok to play with your best friends. Different situations call for different measures.